Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Unity in Diversity

Unity in Diversity
Yesterday, as I pulled up at a stoplight, standing on the island less than 2 feet from my car, was a man, with ragged clothes, his face sun burned and hair unkept, holding a sign asking for money. I immediately & instinctively reached into my wallet, rolled down my window, smiled & handed him a bill. He smiled, & said, "Wow!  Unbelievable. Thank you!"  His gratitude engulfed me like a warm blanket & the smile didn't leave my face for a good 20 minutes after making that left turn to get onto the freeway.

I thought to myself, if we are all One as so many spiritual teachers preach, when you give to the homeless, you give to yourself. When you turn the other way & ignore them, you truly shun yourself & the parts of YOU that you don't want to face.  There is no rationalization or logic; no "they'll just use it for drugs or alcohol."   It is not my job to guess or decide that person's path or where the money will go, it's simply my job to give. 

I have given  to each person I have passed on the street my whole life.  I have given at 10:00PM on Sepulveda Blvd in Van Nuys (L.A) at a gas station after work.  People have often asked me, "haven't you felt like you were in danger? " Not once did I ever feel anything other than I had been chosen to shine my light into someone else's life.

There was a song we sang in Catholic school where the course was, "Whatever you do to the least of my Brothers, that you do unto me."   I guess that sunk in.  Would you ignore Source?   Your job is to answer the call in whatever form in comes in & whomever it shows up as.  It is not always packaged in the neat box of volunteering somewhere or donating clothes. 

More often than not,  the response I will get from the person is, "God Bless you."   I cannot imagine a more heartfelt blessing from the Pope himself.

I distinctly remember a time walking down Michigan Ave in Chicago from the Water Tower Building to the South Loop & giving  around 9 times.  Each time I reached out my hand, I felt freer & lighter as I smiled.  By the end of the walk I was somewhere between skipping inside & walking on air.  It is so gratifying to give a bit of happiness to a stranger's day  & really get that what is a little to you is a big deal to someone else.

The bottom line is when we see The Homeless &/or someone asks us for money, it stirs an emotion within us, be it positive or negative: empathy, disgust, compassion, or the want to ignore.

My grandmother, who I used to refer to as St. Grandma was a light in this world.  When I was a young child, if a homeless person knocked on the door, she would invite them in to eat with us.  I remember her sewing up injured stray cats who had been in an alley fight.  I have been blessed with stark examples & emotional DNA programmed of kind hearts to turn in the direction of those in need, instead of  to look the other away.

So, next time a face in need turns your direction, Sow Some Good Seeds & in honoring them, honor yourself, for we truly are All One.

No comments:

Post a Comment